Property Tax Appeal Service
How to Protest Property Tax in Harris County (HCAD)
Search For Savings
Use our Free Tax Assessment Evaluation tool to find out if you’re a candidate for savings.
Send Your Report to MCAD
Use our report to win your protest & maximize your savings at your hearing.
Property Tax Protest options
HCAD Property Tax Appeal Process
Option 1: File online using HCAD iFile (www.hcad.org/ifile)
Option 2: Via Mail with a “Notice of Protest” form
Next, you must present your evidence. You have 2 options for presenting your evidence:
Option 1: iSettle
iSettle is HCAD’s online platform for reviewing homeowner’s protests. To use iSettle, you must first file your protest online using the iFile system at www.hcad.org/ifile (you cannot file your protest with via the “Notice of Protest” form).
How iSettle Works:
After you’ve completed iSettle, HCAD will re-examine your home based on the comps provided in your Appeal Summary to determine if a reduction is warranted. HCAD will email you with the outcome of their
(The advantage of
If you decline their offer you’ll be scheduled for a hearing with the Appraisal Review Board (ARB) which will independently review your evidence. Most people appear in-person for the ARB hearing, but if you’re unable to attend you can send your entire Appeal Evidence Package in with a notarized affidavit.
Instructions for using iFile & iSettle together:
- Visit www.hcad.org/ifile and enter your HCAD Account Number and iFile number.
- These numbers are located on the Notice of Appraised Value you received from HCAD. If you don’t have this Notice you must contact HCAD directly (713.957.7800) for a replacement.
- Complete the online form: Enter the Fair Value Indication from the 1st page of your
PropertyTaxReductionAppeal Evidence Package.
- Check Reasons for your Protest- If your analysis is based on Sales Comparables AND Unequal Appraisal Comps you will check the box for Value is over market value AND Value is unequal compared with other properties. If your analysis is based on only Unequal Appraisal Comps you will check the box for Value is unequal compared with other properties. Check any other boxes that apply to your particular case.
- Give any facts that may help resolve your case- Copy and paste the “Appeal Summary” making sure to include all the addresses used to arrive at your value. (Since HCAD only allows 700 characters, you must be concise. Just be sure you include all the addresses that were utilized to establish your Fair Market Value in your Appeal Evidence Package.)
- Click “Continue” and then click “Submit My Protest” to finish filing your protest.
Option 2: Informal Hearing
If you want to use iFile, but not iSettle (i.e. you would prefer to appear in-person for the Informal hearing), you can do this by indicating that you do not want to participate in iSettle when prompted.
- File your protest using iFile or complete and mail the “Notice of Protest”
form byMay 31.
- HCAD will schedule and notify you of your Informal hearing date
- Appear at 13013 Northwest Fwy, Houston, TX 77040 on the date & time specified to meet with an appraiser and present your evidence.
After you submit this form, you’ll receive a letter in the mail from HCAD which tells you when to show up for your hearing. You’ll sit down with a representative and show them your evidence. If they agree with you, they’ll offer you a tax reduction and you can choose whether or not to accept it.
What if you don’t receive an acceptable offer? You have 2 options: ARB Hearing or Affidavit
Option 1: Attend the Appraisal Review Board (ARB) Hearing
If you don’t accept HCAD’s offer, you’ll be scheduled for an ARB hearing. Here, you’ll present your entire appeal evidence package to 3 impartial citizens. You’ll need to make 5 copies of your evidence (1 for you, 3 for the ARB members, and 1 for the HCAD Appraiser). Most ARB hearings last around 10-15 minutes. Read tips for an ARB hearing here.
Option 2: Send in a Notarized Affidavit:
If you cannot attend the ARB hearing, you can send your Evidence Package, Appeal Summary, and notarized Affidavit to the address below. The Appraisal Review Board will review your evidence and will notify you via mail of their decision.
Everything should be mailed to:Harris County Appraisal District ATTN: Residential Appraisal Dept. 13013 Northwest Freeway Houston, TX 77040 HCAD Phone Number: 713.957.7800 Important notes about
- Most neighborhoods are eligible for iSettle. A few neighborhoods are not due to their complexity. If your neighborhood is not eligible, HCAD will notify you and you’ll need to file your protest using the “Notice of Protest Form”.
Start Your Property Tax Evaluation
REAL CLIENTS. GREAT RESULTS.
What Customers Are Saying
After unsuccessfully protesting my primary resident property tax at the informal hearing, I purchased a report from this site, and got my tax reduced by $20k at the formal hearing.... read moreJason chen
Very easy steps to follow and yes it works.. this is my second year and my property taxes was reducedNikia Marks
I contacted John, by email, and explained my predicament of a short time frame before my meeting and gave him my contact info and with-in 10 minutes he called me... read moreBrian McQuin
This service helped me reduce my overall appraised and assessed tax value by over 40,000 in 2016. I heartily recommend themJoseph A. Chiavone Jr
I never had protested before and heard about this on the radio. I submitted my appeal online and received a $21,000 assessment reduction...over $500 in savings.Jason
I used Property Tax Reduction on our home and 2 rent houses. All three were reduced after submitting the evidence online with savings totaling $1430.Richard
â€œPropertyTaxReduction.com streamlines tax appeals by offering Texas homeowners a custom online report they can use to appeal property taxes.Chron.com
I am a realtor in Sugar Land and pass this along to my clients every year as a great way to reduce the cost of owning their home.Meredith
I have protested my property taxes for the last 3 years and got a reduction twice, both times using PTR evidence. Last years value of $277k was reduced to $251k... read moreMark
I'm a CPA, but do not handle property tax matters... I think people should do what they are good at. Rainbolt is good at property tax, and had a very... read moreEric Smith
I've used their service for 3 years now and have been very happy. Very professional and let me know how the process is going. My taxes were... read moreSherri Ross
I just let Rainbolt & Company handle everything and wait for the appraisal adjusted. That is so simple and easy. You definitely should try to use their services.Sweet Olive
100% RISK-FREE GUARANTEE
We guarantee success of your protest or your money back!